Thursday, September 25, 2008

First trip to Paladin stadium this season

If I'm gonna do this blog thing, I've got to do this blog thing. And if I'm gonna do this Furman football thing, I've got to do this Furman (holy crap - my dog just farted. I'll be back after I let her and her intestinal chemistry experiment outside).

OK, I've regained consciousness. As I was saying, if I'm gonna do this Furman football thing I've got to do this Furman football thing. Thus, I will be at Paladin Stadium this Saturday despite the fact we're playing Chattanooga.

It's a 3:30 game, so perfect for tailgating. Not perfect for watching other games on TV, but who needs that when you've got beer in the cooler, good friends and a nice early fall afternoon on - everybody together now - a beautful campus? OK, it will probably just be me and my wife, Kristy, so no friendship. and it's supposed to be cold and raining. Hmmm. There will be beer though. That's right, in your face dry campus. I ain't scared of your rules anymore. I'm 37 now. I'm a man!

(Incidentally, it appears Oregon State is beating USC 14-0 right now. How is that possible? Likely, it's possible because Virginia really is that bad and the Beavers are inspired by the news that recently booted Cavalier quarterback Peter Lalich will be transferring to Corvallis because there's a chance he can skirt NCAA eligibility requirements. I mean, he's heard great things about its, uhhh, business school. Yeah, that's it. Business school.)

Anyway, speaking of tailgating, my brother-in-law Bob has been known to bring a 1978 Magnavox to these games that he's somehow figured out how to plug into a cigarette lighter, and occassionally it's even possible to see things through the glare of the sun and bursts of static snow that look like Batman circa Adam West punching the joker. Here's my question:

Will we still be able to watch when the federal government makes everything go digital? I didn't pay attention to those commercials, but I'm sure my mom will know. She still has a rotary phone and eyes the internet like its this year's version of a beta player or an 8-track deck.

(Holy crap - OSU's about to make it 21-0 nothing. It's that Lalich magic, baby).

Time for Dr. Lou, The Daily Show and bed.

No comments: