Before I forget (which is all too easy to do with Virginia basketball these days), I watched the Cavs-Virginia Tech game on Sunday, a day late compliments of my prized new DVR. Which reminds me: When you get that option about changing recording end time, you probably should on a college basketball game. Because they almost never end at two hours, which I found out when my screen went black with 57 seconds left and the Cavaliers making a furious comeback.
Of course, I didn't actually think they'd win - and they didn't - but coach Leitao's troops actually gave me a little hope. Mostly out of fear, I hadn't watched a Virginia game beginning-to-end all season, but I was pleasantly surprised by Saturday in a number of ways.
First of all, 7-foot freshman Assane Sene is a VERY exciting player. Obviously, he's tall, but in stark contrast to lumbering Tunji Soroye (for whom I've always had a soft spot not supported statistically in any way) he's an active, high-energy guy. Even better, he's almost shockingly athletic (he has 20 blocks already) and is a fiery competitor.
That last trait jumps out especially at Virginia, whose players usually look like slack-jawed, glossy-eyed zombies as they passively take their beatings.
Secondly, I was impressed with freshman point guard Sammy Zeglinski simply because he looked like a point guard. Clearly, he's got a ways to go to compete with ACC athletes on a consistent basis, but a he's pass-first, shoot-second guy that can shoot if you let him. I love Sean Singletary, and maybe this was out of necessity because of his weak supporting cast, but too often for my taste he played more like Allen Iverson than Steve Nash - dribbling and dribbling and dribbling and making the occassional spectacular pass but often eschewing the simple kick out or dump in to the post that could have gotten more guys involved.
And don't get me started on Calvin Baker. Too late. I could go on and on here, but for the sake of my sanity and your attention span two things: STOP DRIVING UNDER THE BASKET, JUMPING, AND THEN LOOKING AROUND FOR SOMEBODY TO PASS TO! And, PASS THE DAMN BALL TO THE POST GUY WHEN HE'S OPEN! STOP LOOKING AT HIM, PUMP FAKING, LOOKING AGAIN, AND THEN RE-EMBARKING ON YOUR POINTLESS DRIBBLE JOURNEY AROUND THE 3-POINT LINE!
OK, now that that's out my system: Yet a third freshman looks like he could be one of the best players to play in Charlottesville. Assuming, of course, he can avoid getting picked up for shoplifting at a JC Penney, resist stealing any electronic devices from somebody in his dorm or pull a gun at a party. Not that I have any reason to think Sylven Landesberg would do any of those things, but a precedent has been set.
This kid is the real deal. He can shoot, he's a tremendous offensive player off the dribble, and, best of all, Landesberg has some basketball sense. He's not a Courtney Alexander gunner, and he's not a one-dimensional, Curtis Staples, 3-point shooter. He scores when he can, when it fits in the game, and he passes when it doesn't.
He's averaging 18.5 point per game, fifth in the ACC, and is already the best Virginia freshman since Bryant Stith - who was probably the best Virginia freshman ever. Jeff Lamp's 17.3 average as a freshman in 1977-78, the current school record, is in real trouble, as is Stith's record of 513 points as a freshman.
Landesberg, Zeglinski, Sene, combined with 6-8 sophomore Mike Scott, who has worked hard to become a respectible inside force, are pieces to what could become the core to a real-live basketball team. Virginia still lacks depth, a coherent offensive plan half the time and horrible lapses in defensive intensity. There is no other scorer to help Landesberg (Mamadi Diane, please, for the love of God, exhaust your eligibility). The Hokies were noticeably more athletic at times.
But I have hope. Hope. Now, if I can just find Andy Dufrain on the Pacific coast of Mexico, perhaps Leitao can guide this program to an ACC tournament win.
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment